Hope Chest

11 years ago my Dad surprised me with the largest hope chest that any girl could desire. All my life's treasures easily fit inside (well, right now it's the Christmas decorations). I loved it then, I love it now, and I can't believe it has been so long since he gave it to me.

I decided to take on a beastly project. I decided to change the stain color. Wow! I was not prepared for the amount of work that went into this process. I think the outcome was totally worth it, but if you're contemplating this kind of project, clear your schedule and expect lots of hours breathing in sawdust from your electric sander. In the end I put on 4 coats of dark walnut stain and 3 coats of satin sealer. It's a totally new look and I'm so excited for my dad to see it in person. It's so classy and elegant.

I had just begun sanding on the top
Completely sanded
Inscription from my dad on the bottom that I found after having it for 9 years
The first strokes of stain - I was nervous and excited
The finished product (you can see that I did not do the inside)
Thanks, Dad for a beautiful piece of furniture!

3 comments:

  1. amazing! the stain is just the right color. i applied mine with a brush but was going to use a cloth. maybe next time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That turned out GORGEOUS! Is there anything you can't do, Bonnie?! What a sweet gift from your dad, especially the little inscription.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, Bonnie Belle! It looks amazing! Very impressive!-mal

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear your feedback.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...