Ribbon Flowers


I have gone to the grave and back. Well, at least it felt like it. This past week has been filled with lots of vomiting sickness in my house. A couple of days I was lucky enough {I wouldn't wish it on anyone} to also catch the bug. Down and out. Thankfully I'm up and kicking again...just in time to throw myself into flowers.

I've seen these types of flowers all over the place: headbands, belts, earrings, etc. {Thanks you sWeeT cHarLi and Craftaholics Anonymous for the links} They are so so easy to make and require no sewing. Glue guns really are a good thing.

I'm making these for my sister-in-law's wedding {shout out to Katelyn!} and love how they turned out. I am making several things for the wedding: ribbon flowers for bridesmaid's hair {a small tuck of just the right color}, ribbon flowers and fabric flowers PLUS other embellishments on 9 black aprons {they have to look cuter than just plain black}, 2 little boy's bow ties {black with white polka dots}, and 2 little girl dresses with a bubble bottom {love them}. So I'm going to have my work cut out for me. With a move 2 1/2 months away, I've got to get crackin'. I will be making tutorials as I go along making these projects, just in case you want to volunteer for lots of things for the next wedding in your future. ;)

So here's the tute on the flowers. Seriously, so easy and so fast.

Materials needed:
Ribbon or Cuts of fabric (this ribbon is 100% polyester - you could also use satin)
Scissors
Glue gun
Lighter
Sparkly for the middle
Earring studs, bobby pins, pins for sweaters (etc)

This is a roll of ribbon my mom-in-law got from Michael's. You could make a billion flowers out of this much ribbon.

I tried using a candle as well as a lighter. Not as controllable. Certainly doable. I liked being able to hold my flame and fabric close and in my control. The flame danced too much to anticipate movement. Also, with the flame you have more burn marks on your flowers. I am going for no black marks.

Cut out your circles in varying roundish shapes and sizes.

Once they are cut out. Hold your lighter in one hand and your circle in the other. Quickly move the edges around through the flame - enough to melt and curl a bit, but not enough to burn. {I would have taken a picture, but I forgot my 3rd hand *wink* }

Then stack your cute little circle on top of each other to figure out the order. They look extra cute the more layers they have, and a little off center. Hot glue them with a small dot in between each layer.

Pick out how you want to use them. I got some stud back for earrings. My 2-year-old will be wearing earring rather than a hair pretty. For the bridesmaids, they will have a tuck of flower in their hair. The other flowers are for the apron accessories. You will need some sparkly middle for them. You could put three baby sized, a small, medium, or large - whatever you're in the mood for.

Such a cute finished product. She's going to look adorable.

So simple and yet adds just the right touch.
{Ribbon Flowers on aprons yet to come}

Linked to:
giveaways

Friday Follow

14 comments:

  1. Following you over from New Friend Friday!

    Stop by and enter my giveaway:
    http://extremepersonalmeasures.blogspot.com/2010/05/eco-friendly-peter-rabbit-organic.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. ADORABLE!!!

    I have enough trouble with a hot glue gun, though. Adding open flames to my crafts is only asking for trouble! ;-)

    I'm a new follower from New Friend Friday!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Following From New Friend Fridays.Come Visit Me!
    http://artjourney-gennie.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. these are so cute!!!

    (visiting from nff)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bonnie! These turned out SO cute! I love them.

    ReplyDelete
  6. love the new layout!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi there! Just popping in from Friday Follow to be your newest follower. Swing by my blog when you get a chance and have a great weekend!

    Bridgette Groschen
    The Groschen Goblins
    www.groschengoblins.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello there just stopping by from New Friend Friday! Such a Cute Craft and sooo easy! :)
    Have a Beautiful Day!
    Christina
    http://ohmommaok.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yay! I love seeing that you are making these! And for your sister's wedding!! They are so cute and will look so fun on all the girls!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Those are awesome! I am going to have to make those for my lil sweet pea! Newest follower from new friend friday.

    ReplyDelete
  11. new Follower from friday follow. Great flowers!
    http://hiptips4u.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. Following from FF on GFC as thrifty canucks

    Please visit my site and follow if you can at
    www.thriftycanucks.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. Visiting from Friday Follow.
    We are your newest fans through google friend connect. Please visit Mom to Bed by 8 and do the same.

    http://momtobedby8.blogspot.com/2010/05/friday-follow-1.html

    ReplyDelete
  14. Those sweet flowers are adorable and elegant at the same time. I am going to have to try this.

    Happy Friday Follow...I am a new follower. Come see me at www.504main.com

    Holly
    504 Main

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear your feedback.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...