Bow Tie Baby Shower

Back in November I threw this Bow Tie Baby Shower for my friend Karren and I'm excited to share it with you!

Prior to the day, I spent my evenings watching shows and hand sewing bow ties.  After all of them were done, like 10 bow ties later, I now know a quicker way of making them.  Basically, use the sewing machine a little bit more!  But it was nice having a project to keep my hands busy while watching a show.  It makes me feel like my whole self isn't going to *mush* as I'm plugged to the tube.  :)  

Let's start with this free printable!  I have no idea where I found this, but I printed it and stuck it in a frame for the shower.  I thought it was a very clever addition.  

At the entrance: I used my Ikea frame, stuck some fabric behind the glass, and then wrote on the front.  On the wall I made a pendant bunting from cardstock.

As I talked about in the Yogurt Bar Baby Shower, I always have guests fill out an envelope for the guest of honor to more easily write thank you notes.  Then I draw a couple at the end of the shower for prizes.

I also made these clip on bow ties.  Thanks to Heather for using her cricket and cutting them out for me!  It saved me hours of work! 


I took the bow tie pieces, and using zots, stuck the middles on to each bow.  Then I hot glued the pin to the back.  I also used the bow as a template for making bow tie onsies.  


We had a very fun turnout of friends!  You can see the bow tie onsies I made in the background.  The hanging poofs come from these easy instructions from Martha Stewart.  Seriously, 8 pieces of tissue paper and I hung mine with fishing wire.

I really like how the clothes line turned out.  I used the double stick pelon to adhere the bow ties, then did a single stitch around the outside to make sure they were going to stay.  


**Side note...you might recognize the fabric from the bow ties on these Chenille Burp Cloths I made for different friend.  

Okay.  Now enter the part that I'm kicking myself for!!  Remember how I mentioned I spent hours sewing bow ties.  There they are in the basket below.  I used them as prizes for games at the shower.  They might be my all-time favorite things to give as prizes.  

Here's the catch...this is the only picture I took of them!!  So many good ones.  There was a money tie, some pink, some green, some uglyish colors, and some good.  Oh, well.  I hope the universe is enjoying them.  Or at least laughing with them in their silliness.  :)  

If you want to know the secret of how to make bow ties from men's ties, follow the tutorial from Make it and Love it.  If you want to cut down on your hand sewing, use your machine to sew the outer edges that get tucked in AND the length of the bow tie itself (in that order).  Read the tutorial and if you have a question how I did this, feel free to ask.

Below, Alisha is wearing one of the Bow Ties that I made.  If you're looking for some good tutorials on homemade ties, look at the end of this post.

 So you might have already gathered this.  But having gobs of people in my home, eating some food, visiting, and generally having a good time together, is one of my favorite things.  This day was no exception.  Thank you Karren for having a baby so I could indulge myself!  :)

Okay, for food.  I made Cookie Dough Brownies that were to die for!  Seriously.  Here's the recipe from Recipe Girl.  Thanks to my pinterest dessert category, I could still find the recipe!

Thanks to my friend Traci for making her amazing caramels!

Karren, the star of the show, is one of the most incredible women I know.  She is always giving, always positive, and makes everyone feel like a million bucks!  Besides all that, she's quick witted, is a great story teller, and to top it off is a professional chef who likes to share her talent with all of us.  (She's the one who made the glorious little quiche at the Yogurt Bar Baby Shower.  Granted those were just semi-homemade, she could have done them from scratch!  I've eaten her homemade yeast waffles with asparagus and brie.  I'm not joking about her skills.)

One of the fun gifts she received was this carseat.  The green skull and crossbones cover is homemade by our friend Rachel!  Very awesome skills. 

Sticking with the green/blue theme, we had a jellybean guessing jar.  Instead of a typical list to write guesses, I had guests write their guess in a jelly bean.  I thought it was kinda cute.

 Thank you to everyone who came and made this shower a success!

If you want to check out some more tutorials for making ties, I've collected a few for you:

Okay, so this isn't a bow tie, but it's the tutorial for making a vest onsie that would be really cute with a bow tie on with it!


Here's a super easy bow tie that was also used at a baby shower.

And if you're looking for something for a grown man, less bow tie, here's Purl bee's link for their ties.

5 comments:

  1. How fun. This makes me miss Oregon and all of you creative people in Orenco!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the shout out to my bow tie tutorial. It was such a cute shower!!
    -Polly
    www.thrivinghomeblog.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely! I need to make more again, too..because you can never have to many.

      Delete
  3. Bonnie! I came across this and thought, "Holy Cow, that is Bonnie!!!!" Good to see you and WOW you are just up to some awesome stuff :) Good to see you around!

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear your feedback.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...