Curried Fried Rice

Last night I was tucking in my 6-year-old for bed and he asked to sit on my lap, even though he had already been tucked in his covers.  I asked him why?  His response, "because it makes me feel safe."  I love that.  

Just so you know, I have attempted a dessert bar that was not so successful (when taking out the unhealthy ingredients).  This dish however, was definitely successful and will be a new in-house regular.  

The sweetness from the golden raisins balances out the curry really well.  I also added garbanzo beans, so extra points for some added protein.  I had no cucumbers, but they would have made a great cold topping.


Curried Fried Rice
recipe adapted from Fine Cooking

1 1/2 cups cooked brown rice (it will not be sticky if you use day-old)
1 onion, diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 tsp curry powder
1/2 tsp ground coriander
1/2 tsp chili powder
1/2 cup golden raisins
1 can garbanzo beans
2 Tbsp soy sauce
1 scallion, thinly sliced
1/4 cup cilantro, chopped
1 cucumber, thinly sliced as garnish or diced as topping
1 lime, cut into wedges as garnish

Cook brown rice or get out your day-old rice, my preferred method.

To stir-fry the onions, water saute them.  I do this anytime I have to saute now.  It cuts back on a lot of oil and you still have plenty of flavor.  Heat your pan, add diced onions, and a little bit of water.  Stir your onions around on low heat, the same as you would in oil.  When the water has almost all evaporated, add more.  Continue until your onions are as soft as desired.

After onions are tender, add minced garlic and saute for 30 seconds.  (Grated ginger would also be a nice addition).  Stir in curry powder, coriander, and chili powder.  Add the rice, raisins, and garbanzo beans, blending well.  Stir in the soy sauce.  Add the scallion and cilantro.

Stir-fry until heated through and transfer to a platter.  Garnish with cucumber and lime, serve hot.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear your feedback.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...