Posole


Kids are always hungry, at least mine are.  

Sometimes I think it's boredom hunger and sometimes the real deal.  Either way, when we changed how we eat, my main reason for doing so was for my kids.  I want to have healthy food be the comfort food that they know and remember.  I don't know if there's a better gift I can give for their physical health than a love of healthy food and exercise.  


It was really hard for me at first.  Sometimes it still is.  The comfort food I grew up with was cinnamon rolls, ham and cheesy potatoes (or any meat and potatoes meal - I grew up a true Montana girl), and sweet treats in all packages.  Food is hard to change because it's so intrinsically connected to the people we love and identify ourselves with.  

A large part of my love of food comes from my parents.  Both my mom and dad cooked when I was younger, but I especially remember helping my dad.  When we changed to stop baking goodies, adding cheese and cream, and cutting out meats, it's been a little trickier to keep the food relationship open that I so love.  However, it has continued.  A large part of what I want to do is share recipes that anyone will think taste good, not just "rabbit food" people.  I still suggest recipes to my parents and them to me.  If you are considering a change in your eating habits, you'll need to prepare that this transition will be tricky, but worth it.

What you consider comfort food can change for you and your family.


This Posole is one of the new "comforts" for us.  It also serves a crowd easily.   

I recently had some friends over to celebrate their birthdays.  As a Relief Society president in my church, my counselors and I decided to host birthday dinners once a month for the other women.  Every dinner was so much fun and we had such good conversation together.  We would end the evening with all of us singing happy birthday to ourselves and blowing out a candle on our individual dessert.  For 2013, we've decided to do quarterly dessert nights to switch it up.   


Posole
Adapted from this recipe

1 onion, diced
3 cloves garlic
8 cups broth
1 tsp dried oregano
3 Tbsp chili powder
2 (29 oz) cans hominy
2 (15 oz) cans black beans
1 1/2 tsp salt, to taste
To serve: diced radish, chopped cilantro, lime wedges, chopped lettuce

Saute onion.  Add garlic and saute for 1 minute more.  Add broth, oregano, chili powder, hominy, and black beans.  Mix together and heat.  Season with salt to taste.  I've made this in the crock pot and let it sit all day or in 20 minutes on the stove.  Both are delicious.  Serve with desired toppings.


No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear your feedback.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...